October 1, 2009

Baked Oatmeal and Granola

The first set of ingredients left in the bowl overnight (covered) on the counter to soak...



One of the pans of baked oatmeal just coming out of the oven...yum!
**One little tip here: Do you see that the pan is lined with parchment paper? This is a great "pan-saver" and you don't have to grease anything!**




Crumbled up and going back into the oven to dry out...this will be our granola!



These recipes are so yummy and so good for you! I have recently been exposed to a new way of thinking in this area. Or is it really an "old" way?

Soaking grains is an important step in their preparation which assists our bodies in benefitting from their nutritional value.

I make a double batch of the baked oatmeal to have enough left over to make the granola. If you only make one batch, the entire recipe listed would go into one pan. Please free to ask if you have questions. I have found that to implement this "new way" of doing things only a little advance preparation is required. Enjoy!

BTW...you can, of course, add whatever you like to your granola! We enjoy it with dried cranberries and raisins.

8 comments:

It's me ...Mavis said...

This looks delicious! #1 I love granola, #2 This would be great to much on (with a few add in's) on my walks. Thanks for passing the great idea along. :)

Camille said...

Welcome Mavis!

We love it...and it is apparently better for you to do this way...soooo how can you miss? Add in anything and everything you like to spruce it up (after it's dried and cooled). Let me know how it turns out for you.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's funny I just printed out a recipe for baked oatmeal. I had never even heard of it before. It all looks delicious!

Manuela

Camille said...

Welcome Manuela!

It is yummy and so good for you! We eat it hot with milk on it in a bowl, but you can also let it cool and eat it like a granola bar...enjoy!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm going to have to try this again and cook at a lower heat and less time. I really messed up my first attempt.

Camille said...

I'm sorry to hear you burned it the first time...did you do one recipe in two pans?

Another idea...you can get an oven thermometer (not very expensive)to see if your oven is a hot one! If that turns out to be the problem you can adjust accordingly. My sis-in-law thought she just wasn't a good baker...everything was always overdone. I loaned her my oven thermometer and she discovered it was quite a bit high. She now adjusts the oven temperature and her baking turns out great. Who knows...maybe that's all it is!

Also, I use plain yogurt, not kefir...I don't know if that makes a difference, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I hope you have better success next time!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks, I'll have to try your suggestions. Yes, I used two pans instead of one, and I soaked my grains in naturally soured whey. I'm not going to give up on this recipe because it looks delicious.

Camille said...

Ok...I think maybe that's what happened then...one pan is enough for one recipe and maybe if you use yogurt (plain) it will work for you...let me know how it goes! I know you'll like it...kind of like having a cookie for breakfast! :)