March 17, 2016

Nursery ~ Encouragement for the Young Mum

Not long ago, I logged my first Sunday of nursery duty.
Emma was my helper, and what a blessing she was!
Little ones trickled in one by one and then, came in a flood.
Some mamas stayed for a few minutes to settle their own.

Others didn't need settling.

Some children refused to be comforted.
So, those mamas left, taking their little ones with them.  
In the end, Emma and I only had three to care for.
And, it felt like just the right number.  

This post is the result of my subsequent ponderings.

 And, the purpose of it all is to be an encouragement to the young mamas
among us.  I find myself in the position of being an older mum now.
Don't even ask me when or how that happened!  But, it did. 
And, I am finding that there are a few things pressing on my heart to share.

In the days of diapers and feedings and constant
demands on us as young mums, it's easy to imagine that things will remain
just the same forever ~ intense and exhausting and wonderful all rolled into one.
Life flies by and before we know it, our situation has changed.

We blink.  They grow up.


So, dear mama of littles, take heart.
These are precious days, weeks, months...years!  Truly precious.
Don't rush this time.  Don't wish it all away.  Before long, you too will be the older mama.
And, you will be the one doing the encouraging.  Give it time.  It will happen.

So, in these sweet baby days, don't ever feel badly that your little one
will not be comforted by anyone other than you.  That is how God designed it to be.
While they are little, you are the centre of your child's existence.  It is how they are wired.
And, it is good and right for it to be that way.  It's such a short season.

God does all things well.  And, this is one of those good things.

It is perfectly okay to refuse the nursery service and sit with your own
child in the mother's room.  Our church has two provisions for young mamas.
One option is the nursery, where some little ones are perfectly content to be.
And, the other is a sound-proof room with a view of the sanctuary
and a speaker to hear the service.

Whichever option you choose as a mama ought to be the right one for you.
There is no obligation to use the nursery if it makes both you and your child miserable.
If, on the other hand, it is a good fit for you, by all means, use it!
This may change from week to week.  There is no shame in that, either.

The nursery is available to use if you should require it and desire it. 

And, just be aware that these days will soon be behind you.
Time invested in your little ones is never wasted time.
 And, whatever you should choose to do, be assured of the fact
 that we older mamas are here, cheering you on!

With Much Love,
Camille

**Image courtesy of Calvin circa 2011 ~
Thank you my love!  XO

10 comments:

little sis said...

My first real job was as a preschool teacher for my church's Weekday Early education program. I LOVED it! I have always loved the preschoolers and have taught many years and even been Sunday School Director. Currently I am only able to teach once a month and during Vacation Bible School but it is a blessing to me every time.

Nikki said...

What a sweet post. I too am one of those older mama's now. I find myself having conversations with mama's now that could ALMOST be my own. :) I am still in the days of changing diapers, teething and getting up in the night to take care of little ones needs. Many things have changed though over the years. I have older ones that often help with the little ones. I appreciated all the things you pointed out as yes sometimes we are the only ones that can calm a fussy baby. There should be no shame in that. The years of our littles needing us so often are so fleeting and before we know it they are grown up and doing things on their own. Sorry for such a lengthy post. I must have been feeling chatty.

Cinnamon said...

Wonderfully comforting words~ It's so easy to think our time will always be just as it is but life does change and into something even more beautiful and wonderful.

~Cinnamon

Camille said...

Leanna ~ What a sweet story! I am sure the Mums of the little ones you care for are blessed. They know when they are loved. Hugs to you! :)

Nikki ~ I am glad you added in your wise perspective here my friend...thank you! Yes, you are in the midst of the best of both worlds with your family...what a blessing you are to them! Hugs. :)

Cinnamon ~ Your words, just like Nikki's, add so much to this post because they come from experience. Thank you for encouraging my heart as always. Hugs to you! :)

With love,
Camille

Debbie Harris said...

Camille, bless your heart for this inspiring and encouraging post for those young mother's, just beautiful.
Those days certainly do come and go quickly, don't they? When you are right in the midst of them you wonder if that is true, but before you know it your precious little bundles are all grown up, and then you long for their return.
My daughter's are grown now but I have the blessing of grand parenting four precious grandsons.

It was nice visiting with you, sweet friend.

Have a terrific week!

Esther said...

I wholeheartedly agree! And I remember our days together in the baby room! Precious memories!!

Camille said...

Debbie ~ Ah, yes...the little years do go by so quickly, don't they? But, grandchildren bring them back to us....I'm looking forward to that. :) Hugs to you.

Esther ~ Truly precious!! I am SO glad we were in there together. Hugs! :)

With Love,
Camille

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

What a blessing you are to the young mamas. I remember being there and feeling so desperate to hear the preached Word w/out interruption. It is indeed a speedy season. Even though Greta is still 4, I feel like I'm out of the thick of it and already looking back with fondness at those years. It's taught me to appreciate both the beauty and the struggles within each season and savor them as much as I can...

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

THANK YOU! I so needed to hear this as there has been some pressure for us to take Rina to the nursery now that she is walking. She will not be comforted by anyone other than me. I'm not comfortable leaving her in there to just scream it out as suggested. I'm thankful our church does allow little ones in the service. If she is getting too loud or active, then we take her out. I feel like it is a good compromise and isn't disturbing others. I've even taken her on the stage with me when I've sang for the worship team. I put her in the Ergo or hold her on my hip. "Let the little children come unto Me". I take it literally!

Camille said...

Heather ~ Greta is four already??!! I remember your pregnancy and anticipation of her birth...crazy how time flies by! Thank you for your kind words and for entering into the conversation here...I am sure your thoughts will be an encouragement to other young Mamas in the thick of it all. Hugs to you! :)

Jackie ~ I am so encouraged that this post encouraged you my friend. It sounds like you are handling things wisely in the situation you find yourself in. Hang in there....you are doing what is best for your little one and there is no shame in that. You will never regret it. Hugs to you! :)

With Love,
Camille