January 20, 2010

Prayer Basket

I am not sure where this idea came from, but it works really well! We like to remember to pray for people, but sometimes we have SO many to pray for that we are afraid we might miss someone.

Well, no more.

All the people and special requests we have said we will pray for get written out on their own little piece of paper and put into this "basket" which we keep near our kitchen table. At meal times we pull a request out of the pile and pray specifically for that person or request. Once prayed for, the little piece of paper goes into a "holding" location until all the papers have been used up.

When the "basket" is empty we put all the papers back in and start again. Each person can draw a name or request at each mealtime, or just one name/request can be prayed for per meal ~ choose whichever system works best for your family. Another good time to use the basket would be during family devotions in the evenings. By using a system like this, everyone and everything you've pledged to pray for will be remembered! We love it!

"...the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16b

15 comments:

Sharon said...

What a wonderful idea Camille!!! I love it :) You always have such encouraging posts. I thank the Lord for you!

Love,
Sharon

Lady Farmer said...

Hi Camille!
We've used this idea, too, but for Christmas Cards. We would choose one of the cards we received for Christmas and prayed for that person/family.
I like having something tangeble to use ~ I can see the card they specifically chose for us, see their handwriting/names and remember special friendships!
I love your idea of using it all the year!
Blessings!

Wanting What I Have said...

What a GREAT idea!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Such a neat idea, Camille! Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Oh! I love this! Thanks for sharing!

Camille said...

Sharon ~ I am glad we are friends!

Lady Farmer ~ I learned of the Christmas Card praying idea years ago...you are right ~ it is lovely to have a tangible reminder of WHO you are praying for. :)

J ~ I hope you find it as "do-able" as we have. Your kids would be blessed by it I am sure. :)

Jackie ~ The kids like doing it. It makes them really think about others and what's happening outside their small world ~ see some of the "bigger" picture.

Blessings,
Camille

Camille said...

Dear Heather ~ You wrote your comment as I was writing mine...so it looks like I missed you ~ but I didn't! :) I have found that it is so much less stressful to tell someone you will be praying when you know that you have a little "reminder" note to keep you on track. Many more people will get prayed for this way!

Blessings,
Camille

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea!

Camille said...

Jenn ~ Thanks! I'm sure your kids would enjoy it too. :)

Blessings,
Camille

It's me ...Mavis said...

This is a very cute idea :)

Camille said...

Thanks Mavis! :)

Abbi said...

That is a very neat idea! I think my kids would really like this. Also it would really help all of us to remember to pray for those taht we have told we would pray for them.

Camille said...

Abbi ~ Oh it is wonderful to know that you are not forgetting one request or person...I am sure it will be a blessing to your family as it has ours. :)

In Him,
Camille

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Camille, I love this idea. We have such a hard time keeping consistant with this. I have tried index cards and other things, but I like this! Looking for a basket now!

Camille said...

Dear Michelle ~ It really has been a blessing...the kids remember whose turn it is to draw a name and keep us on track! I hope you find that basket and enjoy using this system.

Blessings,
Camille