April 21, 2014

The Heart of the Matter

It's always of great benefit to get to the heart of the matter.
With our teens ~ it's imperative.  But, it's not always easy.
The easy thing to do is to react to the results of their actions.
But, very often, it's not as simple as that.  Not as simple at all.

We've been parenting teens in our family for six full years now.

There have been many instances when we have needed wisdom.
Thankfully, the Lord gives it when we ask.  We have had to ask.  Often.

Like the time when instructions were given to turn off a pot

when the lid rattled (I thought it would) and all the water boiled away
leaving the contents to burn half an inch deep to the bottom of the pan.
Was the intention to ruin lunch?  To be disobedient?  To be destructive?  No.
But, lunch (and very nearly the pot) was ruined.  Completely and utterly.

I am ashamed to say ~ I reacted.


Fortunately, I have a wise husband who is well versed in dealing

with boys.  He was once one himself ~ funny how that works.  :)
He intervened and applied wisdom to the situation.
We all came out of it smiling and still friends.

Lunch plans were changed.  

And, the heart of our teen was intact.  A win-win.

However, it could have turned out so differently.

Through situations like these, we can so easily burn bridges.
Getting to the heart of the matter takes time ~ it always does.
But, very often, we don't seem to have the time.  We will never regret
the time it takes to come alongside to teach and train.  Never.



We have been blessed by the writings of those who have gone 

before us in this journey of parenting teens.  
Wise words to glean from may be found within the pages of 
"Age of Opportunity" by Paul David Tripp.

His words challenge parents of teens to examine themselves first.

Are we going for behaviour modification or true heart change?
He encourages, challenges, and equips the reader to put into practice
the various ideas put forward in his book.  They are Biblical and sound.

I need to re-read it.  :)




See all the folded down pages?  Apparently, just a few things jumped out at me.

We only travel this path once.  We want to do it right.  We cannot do it alone. 
The only way forward is by God's grace and in His strength.

"Age of Opportunity" is full of Biblically sound advice and godly wisdom ~ 

it truly is a gem.  We are so thankful to have a copy in our home library.
Our parenting journey is far from over.  We will likely revisit its pages often.
Highly recommended for those who are seeking
to parent their teens with grace, mercy, and love.

You will be encouraged.  I am sure of it.


Many Blessings,
Camille


**Opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own ~ 

I am not compensated in any way for this recommendation.

5 comments:

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Good thoughts, Camille. Life isn't easy and teens especially. We can still step on their toes even now that they are older...so it's sometimes hard as well. I had to still a storm and apologize to my son yesterday. It worked out ok! Hugs and thanks for sharing!

Camille said...

Dear Becky ~ Ah, yes...apologizing goes a LONG way! How precious it is to walk this path with our children. God is so very Good to us, isn't He? Hugs to you! Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

We are now entering into the pre-teen stage and all I can say is what a ride! I thought the toddler years were hard. I'm having to change tactics so that I can reach the heart. Not always easy cause I'm in some bad habits. Drill Sgt mom just doesn't cut it at this stage. Please pray for me as I learn to change in this area. I'm sending up a prayer for you, too, right now. Blessings!

Unknown said...

Yes! This is a great book!!!!

Camille said...

Dear Jackie ~ It's always changing, isn't it? Enjoy the journey...and yes, I will pray for you right now. Hugs! :)

Dear Jenny ~ I am glad you agree...we have been so blessed by it! :)

With Love,
Camille