January 23, 2014

Easy (and Yummy) Quinoa Salad ~ THM Compliant

This Quinoa Salad is simple.  Easy.  Yummy.
And, it fits into the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan.
Better and better.

I make a batch of this and we eat it for lunch.
Everyone approves.  Even my teen boys.  Win win.

We've also had this as a side dish at dinner along with a protein.

Whatever way you choose to serve it, it will be a hit.  Promise.


~ Quinoa Salad ~
Adapted from Trim Healthy Mama

2 cups Quinoa cooked in 4 cups water
1 long English cucumber, diced ~ skin on
2/3 lb (300 grams) grape tomatoes ~ halved
6 to 8 green onions ~ chopped
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I like Meyer lemons)**
**If using regular lemons, you might like to begin with 1/3 cup ~
Add in more if it's not tangy enough...this is a taste as you make it salad :)
1/4 to 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Freshly ground black pepper and 
Himalayan pink rock salt (or sea salt) to taste  

Cook the Quinoa in the water ~ Bring to boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer with lid slightly ajar for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes with lid on.
Remove to a large bowl and refrigerate until cold.
(I often do this step the night before I want to make this salad).

Once the Quinoa is cold, put it into large mixing bowl.
Toss in the veggies, the lemon juice, and the oil.
Mix well.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Chill and serve.  Or, just serve!
It does benefit from sitting the fridge awhile to allow
the flavours to mingle.  It's especially good the next day
if you can make it last that long.  In our home, that's rare.  
However, it is a HUGE salad ~ so, it may still be around.  Enjoy!

Blessings,
Camille

**This is THM compliant ~ S Helper Category 

12 comments:

Maryann said...

Looks yummy, I made quinoa for the first time last fall and love it in salads. I'm going to try this recipe...thanks for sharing it!

Wanting What I Have said...

Yum, yum, yum!!!! Def going to try this one! :)

Linda said...

Hi Camille'
The looks so yummy! Now I am feeling hungry!
Enjoy your day.
Hugs

Patty said...

Looking forward to trying this. I'm going to bookmark the page so I can remember!

Dianna said...

I'm going to pin this. We just recently introduced ourselves to Quinoa and we both enjoyed it. Think I could get by with making it a day ahead and hiding it somewhere in the back of the fridge until the next day for the flavor to be enhanced? lol Thank you for sharing this salad, Camille!

Camille said...

Dear Maryann ~ It makes LOTS. I hope you like it. :)

Dear Jennifer ~ I hope y'all approve. Hugs! :)

Dear Linda ~ It is so simple and so good...thank you for stopping by! :)

Dear Patty ~ Oh, I do hope you all enjoy it. :)

Dear Dianna ~ If you make the full recipe you will have LOTS of leftovers. It is enough for the five of us to have a full dinner plate each. Enjoy! :)

Many Blessings,
Camille

Patrinas Pencil said...

Quinoa is so good for you. so many ways to fix it. Love it that you teens love it too!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Quinoa has become a favorite of mine! Love that you are enjoying THM….it is indeed, a small world after all!!!

Heather said...

We LOVE this dish. I make it all the time! We mix curry in there too. I sometimes substitute the quinoa for chickpeas and add in dill and feta. Soooo yummy!

Camille said...

Dear Patrina ~ It is a big hit around here...I love that! I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try. :)

Dear Cindy ~ It's lovely to hear from you my friend. And, yes...a small world...did you know you were one of those who influenced me to purchase that THM book? Yes, you were....thank you. :)

Dear Heather ~ Ohh...thank you for the endorsement. :) It's such a versatile salad...so many possibilities! So glad you all enjoy eating quinoa just like us. :)

Many Blessings,
Camille

Lois said...

Great minds think alike,Camille, yours and mine! :) I cooked up a batch of quinoa in the crock pot a few days ago. I made a soup and last night we had a casserole. Both were very good. For the sake of my carnivorous husband and son, I added some chicken to the casserole. I just love using whole grains and food made from scratch!

Camille said...

Dear Lois ~ Mmmm sounds lovely! Yes, indeed...great minds. LOL! It's lovely to hear from you my friend...thank you for coming by for a visit. Many Blessings, Camille