December 29, 2016

Books I Love

Many people make it practice to record a reading list for the year.
Some make their lists prior to reading, while others make theirs after.
What follows is my reading list for life...so far.

I expect there will be more to come since I am still in my forties (for a little longer).
 The purpose of this post is to record my favourites all in one place.
It is not an exhaustive list, but, these are the books that I have returned
to, or expect to return to, for more than one read-through.

"Trusting God Even When Life Hurts" by Jerry Bridges 
is a book I cannot recommend highly enough.
It's full of Scripture and sound theology and offers
solid answers to life's toughest questions.

"Grieving Hope and Solace" by Albert Martin
was given to us when our Austin was called home to heaven.
It is a treasure that can be read and pondered and used to
encourage over and over again.  Full of truth and hope,
it was used by the Lord to heal our broken hearts.

"Holiness" by J. C. Ryle
sat on our bookshelf for many years before I picked it up.
I cannot believe I waited so long to soak in the wise words of
this godly man.  He had the ability to take deep truths
and make them understandable for all his readers.
It has become of my all-time favourite books.



"Little Pilgrim's Progress" by Helen Taylor
is a faithful rendering of the original work by Bunyan.
It is not watered down or minimized, yet, it is simplified
in its language so that even young children will understand the story.
It is a wonderful read-aloud which will spark conversations
with your children of those real and eternal things that truly matter.
It does have frightening parts, so perhaps it would be best to pre-read
to discover the appropriate time to introduce it to your children.

"Morning and Evening" by Charles Spurgeon
is my all-time favourite devotional book.
There are readings for each morning and evening of the year.
We like to think of Spurgeon as our own pastor from the past.
He had a beautiful way of conveying truths of Scripture with word
pictures and illustrations.  His writings are always so encouraging
and challenging.  Year after year, this work never gets old.

"The Glory of Heaven" by John MacArthur
was such an encouragement to our hearts after our Austin
was called to live in heaven instead of here.
Pastor MacArthur is faithful to the Scriptures and doesn't
introduce any fanciful ideas into his solid teaching.
He refutes anything that is extra-biblical in nature 
as it pertains to the subject of heaven.

"The Gospel According to Jesus" by John MacArthur
is a book we are currently reading through together with Howie's parents.
Once again, Pastor MacArthur doesn't leave any room for error
in the presentation of the Gospel.  He faithfully expounds Scripture
and teaches directly from its pages in order to expose false teachings.
It is so important for us to know what we believe and why.
This is a treasure that is worthy of sharing.

"The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment" by Jeremiah Burroughs
was a book I was introduced to in my Bible School years,
and then again by my Mum-in-Love when Howie and I were engaged.
Regrettably, I have let it languish on the shelf for far too long.
Jeremiah Burroughs was a Puritan who lived in England in the 1600's.
However, his subject is just as pertinent today as it would have
been four hundred years ago.  It's a timeless classic.

It should go without saying that the Bible is the greatest book of all.
Soaking our hearts and minds in its truth 
is a necessary practice.  A vital one, in fact.



"And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures which are able to
make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,
for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, 
throughly furnished unto all good works."  2 Timothy 3:15-17   

If you are not a reader and opt for just one book in your library, the Bible would top my list.
The 66 books of the Old and New Testaments are all that are needed to know God.
It is the only book of its kind because it is God's infallible and inerrant Word.
It is living and powerful and has the wonderful ability to change lives.

Whatever you read in 2017, may you find it to be a blessing
to your heart, lead you closer to the Saviour,
and encourage you in your walk with Him.

With Love, Camille

5 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

These are wonderful resources. I too am cautious these days about what I read that purports to be Christian. So many things sound good, but they aren't Scriptural. Thank you for the list. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Camille said...

Robbin ~ You are so right! It is best to stick to recommendations from trusted sources when it comes to good Christian books. I especially love the old authors...they often had such wisdom and insight that seems to be lacking in many circles these days. Happy New Year to you and yours my friend. Hugs and With Love, Camille

Debbie Harris said...

Camile, you have really shared some excellent resources here and I enjoyed reading why you own them and what your thoughts are.
I stick to the older authors for they are trustworthy. I've bought some of the newer authors and have been quite dissipated.
Thank you for sharing your book shelf with us.

Blessings for the New Year~

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I'm hoping to read more in 2017 and knit and continue reading the Bible and devotions at work on a break. John MacArthur is good. I find I read more non fiction than fiction lately and I would like to read it too. But I must read the books I have including the ones on my kindle before I buy or borrow any more! So many good books out there, so little time. Happy New Year, Camille!

Camille said...

Debbie ~ You are right...the old authors have so much wisdom and insights to share. May the Lord bless you as you follow Him in the coming years. Big Hugs to you! :)

Becky ~ I agree with you....there are so many good books to glean from! How blessed we are to live in this day and age with all these great resources at our disposal. May the Lord bless you in the coming days as you follow Him wherever He leads. Big Hugs! :)

With Love,
Camille