November 30, 2010

Pumpkin Leek Soup


This soup is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Easy to make.
Yummy to eat!

Comfort food at its finest.

I tried it for the first time last night.
What a treat! A *hit* all around!
I found this wonderful recipe in
this pretty book ~ A favourite that I only
pull out during the Christmas Season.



Be sure to use a sweet pumpkin
such as the "Sugar Pie" variety.

~ Pumpkin Leek Soup ~

Adapted from Mary Englebreit's
"Let the Merrymaking Begin ~
Christmas Volume One
"


~ Serves 3 or 4 ~
I made a double recipe for the six of us...
Next time I will make FOUR times the recipe to have leftovers!

~ Ingredients ~

2 Tbsp Butter

2 Medium Leeks ~
white part only, rinsed well and thinly sliced

1 Small Onion ~ diced

4 Cups 1/2 inch diced sweet pumpkin (I used Sugar Pie) ~
about the size of a small non-regulation soccer ball.
LOL ~ is it obvious that there are boys in our home?

* Skin the pumpkin with a carrot peeler,
cut in half, scoop out stringy flesh and seeds.
Save the seeds to toast and discard the stringy flesh.

4 to 6 Cups Chicken Stock (I used 4)

Salt and Pepper to taste

1/2 Cup toasted and coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds for garnish

* To toast ~ wash the seeds and place on a
parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Generously salt and place in a 350*F oven.

Check and stir after 10 minutes,
continue checking a stirring every 5 minutes thereafter until crunchy.
They will quickly go from "just right" to burnt, so do be careful!


~ Instructions ~

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat and cook leeks
and onions until transparent and limp.

Add in the pumpkin and stir to coat with butter.

Pour the chicken stock over all until the pumpkin
is covered by about one inch.

Bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes ~
until the pumpkin is very tender.

Use your immersion (hand) blender and puree directly in the pot.

If you do not have one of these handy contraptions,
hint that you would like one for Christmas (smile)
and proceed to blend until smooth in your blender.

Return to pot and adjust seasonings.
Sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds
over each individual serving.

~ Y.U.M.M.Y. ~

Do Enjoy!
Blessings,
Camille

8 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Ooh, Camille! This sounds so good! I actually have 5 smallish pumpkins just waiting to be roasted...I just have not had the gumption to do it! This soup sounds like a good incentive, and yes, I have one of those wonderful immersion blenders. I love it!

Dianna said...

Camille, thank you, for sharing this amazing looking and sounding soup recipe with us. I'm wondering if I could use my own pumpkin that I've already canned? They were the sweet pie pumpkins...so I'm guessing I can do that.

I also wanted to say congratulations to you on your 1000th post in your gratitude journal. I saw that on Monday evening and didn't have the time right then to respond. I am not even at 300 yet but I'm already experiencing such a change in my heart attitude...and I know it is coming from giving thanks...gratitude...it makes for a wonderful attitude.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Camille said...

Cindy ~ Yaay for the immersion blender...aren't they just amazing?? I use mine soooo much! I do hope you enjoy this soup...so yummy and easy too. :)

Dianna ~ I'm sure you could use your canned pumpkin...it wouldn't need the length of cooking time, but the flavours would need to have time to blend. I hope it turns out for you! Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement about the thankfulness journal...it really has been a blessing to my heart...amazing how that works! How wonderful that the LORD has you on this journey too...it's how we met! :)

Blessings to you both!
In His Love,
Camille

Cinnamon said...

I love Mary Englebreit!!!

Every year my husband gets me the calendar and date book. Love them!

Got your sweet card today. The tea was wonderful and came right when I needed to sit and rest.

Thank you for your sweet friendship~ Cinnamon

Jill said...

Mmmmm this looks so yummy! I love her books and quotes! Haven't seen this one yet. Thanks for sharing!

Also wanted to let you know I'm having a holiday giveaway if you'd like to enter...

http://blessingsofastayathomemom.blogspot.com/2010/12/its-beginning-to-look-lot-like.html

Have a great night!

Blessings,
Jill

Camille said...

Cinnamon ~ Oh I am so glad you enjoyed the tea! You are a blessing to me too! Isn't Mary Englebreit's artwork lovely? So cheery and full of fun. :)

Jill ~ Thank you so much for stopping by to let me know about your giveaway...that was sweet of you! Yes, Mary Englebreit is a talented girl...I'm glad you enjoy her too! :)

Blessings to you both!
In His Love,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Looks super yummy and healthy! Great combo!

Camille said...

I hope you give it a try Jackie...it is super easy and super good! Enjoy! :)

Love,
Camille