September 11, 2010

Bite That Tongue!


Oh I talk A LOT!
I always have...just ask my parents!
AND my husband! :)

BUT...what does the Bible say about this??

"In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin:
but he that refraineth his lips is wise."
~ Proverbs 10:19 ~

"Be not rash with thy mouth,
and let not thine heart be hasty to utter
any thing before God:
for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth:
therefore, let thy words be few.
For a dream cometh through the multitude of business;
and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words."
~ Ecclesiastes 5:2-3 ~

"The tongue can no man tame;
it is an uruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father;
and therewith curse we men,
which are made after the simlitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing.
My brethren, these things ought not so to be."
~ James 3:8-10 ~

Oh. Dear. Me.

The Scriptures really do say it all.
Do we take the time to consider what we are speaking about,
and to whom?

Should they be listening to what I am saying?
Should I be saying the things that I am?
Am I following this Scripture?

"Let your speech be alway with grace,
seasoned with salt,
that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."
~ Colossians 4:6 ~

And these?

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying,
that it may minister grace unto the hearers."
~ Ephesians 4:29 ~

"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour,
and evil speaking, be put away from you with all malice:
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
~ Ephesians 4:31-32 ~

Oh that the LORD might put a watch over my tongue!
And that I might have wisdom to use my words
to please and honour HIM!

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise:
and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
~ Proverbs 17:28 ~

Blessings,
Camille

11 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

I find that when I bite my tongue,and stop those words from coming out, I taste just how bitter they would have been!
Thank you, Camille, for your gentle reminder to me to be the person my Grandmother said her mother was ~ never an unkind word about another ever was spoken!
Be Blessed today!

Unknown said...

Oh there have been too many times when I have thought to myself WHY did I say that!

Thanks for sharing these verses with us today.

Heather said...

Oh boy.

Heather said...

Just had to let the previous comment stand on it's own :) Wow, to see all these scriptures put together is something else. I have at lest half of them memorized because this is my greatest weakness. Thankyou for a wonderful and godly reminder.

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Oh my...wonderful post....I think I need to read it again:-)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

These are all excellent verses! Now that I have nodules on my vocal cords, and I'm not supposed to talk or sing, I find myself sinning less as I carefully weigh the words I want to say. Why didn't I do this years ago? God is teaching me so much about myself and about Him through this painful and difficult trial. I've regressed somewhat and am fighting discouragement. I would appreciate your prayers. My voice is worse than ever. I was in a couple social situations and I talked too much. Even explaining why you can't talk is so hard. I need to have my kiddos start explaining it for me, so I don't have to.

Sorry this is so long. But I would appreciate your prayers.

Camille said...

Dear Raeann ~ I *love* how you put it! "I find that when I bite my tongue,and stop those words from coming out, I taste just how bitter they would have been!" Perfect!! How sweet your Great-Grandmother must have been! I am sure you ARE following in her footsteps. :)

Dear Jenn ~ I am *so* with you on that one!! "WHY did I say THAT??"...I can't tell you how many times I have thought that very thing. :)

Dear Heather ~ How powerful God's Word is! How gentle HE is with us and HE patiently teaches and admonishes! It's one of the things I need HIM to help me with constantly as well...how wonderful we have HIM to work this in us. :)

Dear Treasures ~ I think I need to read it again and again and again too! ;-)

Dear Stacie ~ We are praying for you and will continue to! So sorry it is a painful journey for you, but so wonderful that the LORD is teaching you many things through this trial! Isn't it a blessing to belong to HIM? Hang in there my friend! :)

In His Love,
Camille

Teresa said...

Camille,

Such a challenge, isn't it? Doesn't it have to do with making sure the thoughts behind the words are right? Then the words that flow from the heart will be pleasing to God. Oh my thought life is my biggest battleground--it's so easy to give in to discouraging, fearful, etc. thoughts. I think that's why making a list of things to be thankful for each day really helps to focus my mind on what IS going well and is pleasing to God. I like what Elisabeth Elliot said: "It is always possible to be thankful for what is given rather than resentful over what is withheld. One or the other becomes a way of life."

Thanks for holding forth His Word for us!

Teresa

Camille said...

Dear Teresa ~ Thank you for adding in your wisdom to this post! Yes, I agree...it is our thought life that affects our words...but before that, it is our heart...out of it flow ALL things! Oh that the LORD would have our hearts and we would seek to honour HIM in all we do, say and think! I *love* Elisabeth Elliot ~ I hadn't read that quote from her before...thank you for sharing it here. :)

Blessings,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

God has been working on me with this. My sister and I are currently experiencing vocal strain, her's is much worse. It is forcing us to talk less and in a different tone. God is using this as a way to break some awful habits. The last time we were together with all the kids, it was very peaceful. Stacie and I noticed it and couldn't believe how much of the previous noise we had been responsible for. Ouch! Glad God is working on us. Love and Hugs, Jackie

Camille said...

Dear Jackie ~ What a lovely testimony! How gracious the LORD is with us...and how thankful I am that HE doesn't leave us to ourselves ~ HE is faithful to continue HIS work! :)

With Love,
Camille