December 16, 2010

Decadent and EASY!

Have you ever heard of a "pudding cake"?

Oh Y.U.M!

This was my
All. Time. Favourite.
dessert growing up ~
Little did I know it was SO easy to make!

It's great to whip up for those unexpected guests
or for your own family on an ordinary night
to make it extra special.

Dish up some
L.O.V.E.

Your family will thank you...
ask me how I know. ;-)

Served warm straight from the oven with (or without)
a dollop of ice cream, it's ~

D.R.E.A.M.Y.

While it is baking the pudding forms
underneath and the cake rises to the top ~

OH. DEAR. ME!


~ Brownie Pudding Cake ~
Adapted from
"Better Homes and Gardens ~ New Cookbook"



~Cake Ingredients ~

1 cup Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 cup Milk
2 Tbsp Oil (I use Olive Oil)
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Chopped Nuts (Walnuts or Pecans) ~
may be omitted


~ Sauce Ingredients ~

3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1 3/4 cup Freshly boiled Water

(*I like LOTS of sauce...if you are like me,
you might want to adjust the sauce amounts
as below)

1 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
2 1/3 cup Freshly boiled Water


~ Method ~

Measure first 5 ingredients into bowl.
Mix together with a wire whisk.
In separate bowl, mix together the milk,
oil, and vanilla.
Mix the wet ingredients into the
dry, and mix until smooth.
Stir in the nuts (if desired).

Spread into greased casserole dish (8x8) ~
use a larger pan if you are increasing the sauce.
This batter is VERY thick and difficult to spread...
that's normal.

Mix together the brown sugar and cocoa powder
for the sauce and sprinkle over the cake batter.
Pour hot water over all.

Bake at 350* F for 35 to 45 minutes ~
watch closely after the 30 minute mark to be sure you
don't burn it!

You can test the cake with a toothpick ~
it should come out clean.
The cake rises to the top and looks like it's
cracked and the pudding bubbles underneath.

I hope you like it as much as we do!
Just be forewarned...it is very
C.H.O.C.O.L.A.T.E.Y.
Wonderful!

Blessings,
Camille

5 comments:

Hopes Handcrafts said...

My mum made this for us when I was a child. She called it a Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding. I must make it for my family..I'm sure they will love it, also!

Dianna said...

Your Brownie Pudding Cake looks SO wonderful, Camille! I made those one time in the individual ramekins. I still remember the thrill of taking them from the oven, cooling for just a second and then flipping them over...I truly think there is nothing sweeter! I also have a recipe for making that in a crock pot! Such a versatile recipe!

Thanks so much for bringing this wonderful recipe to memory!

Christa said...

Hi Camille,
This looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
We are trying to get back to normal here at our house after having guests from California and going to the conference in N.C.
I hope all is well at your home this Christmas season.

Christa

Wanting What I Have said...

Woo hoo! I am totally going to make these for Christmas Eve dinner! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Camille said...

Dear Julze ~ How fun that this was in your childhood too! I could tell what was baking just from the smell...happy memories! I'm sure your family will enjoy it. :)

Dear Dianna ~ I'm so glad it was a happy memory I stirred up! Thanks for sharing your memories with me...it made me smile. :)

Dear Christa ~ Oh how busy you have been! I trust you enjoyed your time at the conference?? What a lovely thing to do with your family!! :)

Dear Jennifer ~ Oh. Dear. Me! I hope it turns out wonderfully for you...you make me nervous thinking that it will be featured on such a special night!! It really is not difficult...I'm sure you will love it. If you like chocolate like I do, it will be a hit. :)

May the LORD bless you each this CHRISTmas season!

In His Love,
Camille