December 29, 2009

Chocolate Log Roll with Hot Butter Sauce

Oh dear me!
This is such a dangerously rich dessert ~ 

I only make it a few times a year.
My Dad always requests it for his birthday ~
Traditions like this one die hard! :)

It is such an elegant looking cake ~ but really not difficult to make.
I have provided step-by-step pictures 

to walk you through the process.
You can easily get eight servings out of one recipe ~ let me know what you think!


The yummy cake ready to be eaten!

The chocolate and eggs whites...fold together carefully.

Spread into prepared pan with spatula...

Sprinkle parchment paper with icing (powdered) sugar.

Fresh from the oven...

Turn immediately onto prepared parchment paper.

Roll up and place on wire rack to cool.

When it's completely cool, unroll and spread with whipped cream.

Roll it up again and place on serving plate.

Sprinkle with more icing (powdered)sugar...

Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Make the hot butter sauce about 45 minutes before you require it.

Chocolate Log Roll

Separate 5 eggs and whip the whites until stiff.
Set aside.

Blend 5 egg yolks with 3/4 cup icing sugar.
Add 2 heading Tablespoons cocoa powder and 

1 Tbsp and a wee bit more flour.
Blend together well.

Fold in 5 whipped egg whites ~ add in a pinch of salt.

Grease jelly roll pan, then line with parchment paper and grease again...make sure you do this well...

or it will stick! Spread mixture into pepared pan.

Bake 425* F for 10 minutes.

Turn out onto parchment paper heavily sprinkled with icing sugar.
Roll up width-wise and cool on wire rack.
When cool, unroll and spread with 2 cups (before whipping) whipped cream and re-roll.

Place on serving plate and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Just prior to serving make the hot butter sauce...slice and pour sauce on individual servings.

~ Hot Butter Sauce ~

1/2 cup butter
1 cup icing sugar

Mix together and heat in a double boiler until melted.
Boil some water and crack an egg into a mug.

Whip the egg with a fork as you pour 2 Tbsp boiling water into it. 
(This helps to prevent curdling when you add it to the hot butter and sugar mixture).

Using a whisk stir the butter and icing sugar 

as you add in the beaten egg.
Continue to stir and simmer 1/2 hour stirring frequently.

Pour over individual slices of cake immediately before serving.

ENJOY!

9 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Oh. My. Word. That might have to be printed off and tucked away for a special day. Friday is a special day, wouldn't you say???

Nadine said...

That does look very rich and delicious!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Oh, wow! I'm getting hungry!

Heather said...

Oh dear me is right! Everytime I come visit here, I'm picking up a little sugar :) Talk about mouth-watering. Thanks for checking out my archives. You're always encouraging to me and I too, feel the friendship!
We just said goodbye to our B.C. friends at our door! Kinda neat that I have another B.C. friend!
love, Heather

It's me ...Mavis said...

This looks interesting... I have never done a log roll cake before... I may have to try this! Yummmmy...

Unknown said...

This looks scrumptious! One of my all time favorite recipes is a pumpkin roll cake. I think I might just have to make one of these chocolate ones pretty soon.

Camille said...

Cindy ~ Oh yes!! Friday is a very special day...I hope you like it!! :)

Nadine ~ Rich and delicious it is...too scary!

Jackie ~ I bet you are! ;-)

Heather ~ Oh yes...I am glad you count me as a friend...come on over sometime! :)

Mavis ~ Do try it and let me know what you think! (You should have enough cocoa to make this weekly for years!) :)

Jenn ~ Mmmm...a pumpkin roll cake...is that going to be featured on your blog?? I would love to try it! :)

Blessings,
Camille

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Oh, Camille, this looks delicious! I haven't had a chance to visit you in awhile and now I see what I've been missing. Hot butter sauce? I have never heard of such a thing- what a special tradition. I'm bookmarking this one:-).

Camille said...

Thy Hand ~ I hope you like it! We surely do!! :)

Blessings,
Camille