December 6, 2009

Whipped Shortbread

These were a staple Christmas treat in our home in my growing up years. They are so light and literally melt in your mouth ~ Thanks Mom for the recipe...I make them every year!

Cookies cooling on the rack...tempting us all!


Mixing and mixing and mixing...faithful appliance! :)


Cut maraschino cherries ready to decorate...


Cookies ready for the baking...




Whipped Shortbread



1 lb Butter (at room temperature) ~ 1 lb = 2 cups
1/2 cup Corn Starch
1 cup Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
3 cups Flour

Beat all ingredients together (add dry ingredients in slowly) until batter takes on the consistency of heavy whipped cream. Although, my mixer was labouring to do the job, so I divided it up into smaller batches to get it light enough.

Drop by teaspoonfuls (is that a word?) onto ungreased cookie sheets and garnish with red and green cherries. (They would be fine without...but certainly more festive with!)

Bake at 325* F for 20-25 minutes ~ Until lightly golden on the bottom.

Remove to cooling rack ~ This is a very fragile cookie...so handle with care while they are hot. On a positive note...they freeze very well! I let my family have a taste and off to the freezer they went...or there would be none left for Christmas!!

ENJOY!!

17 comments:

Shades of Gray (formerly 'The Maine Life') said...

Hey!!! I'm making these today!!!!! Yummy!! My favorite Christas cookie and then sitting with a nice cup of tea or coffee with one or two of these - LOVELY!! :)

Camille said...

OH...I wish we were together over Christmas Janine! Wouldn't it be fun to bake some together and enjoy over that cup of coffee?? Have fun baking...I'll be thinking of you!

Love,
Camille

It's me ...Mavis said...

Is icing sugar the same as powdered sugar?

Camille said...

Hi Mavis ~ Yes...it's the same thing. Hope you like them! :)

Have a great week!
Camille

Nadine said...

Oh, these look so good! I will be adding these to my baking list for this Christmas!
Thank you for sharing with us!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Wanting What I Have said...

:) My mom and sister LOVE shortbread...I will have to make these for them! Thanks for sharing! How did you do the cherries?

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Those are beautiful and they look so yummy!

Camille said...

Nadine ~ I have no idea where my Mom got the recipe, but when I tried "real" shortbread after I was all grown up I was SO disappointed!! I think these are the BEST! :)

J ~ The cherries were marachino red and green...I dried them on a paper towel and cut in half, and quarters, and eighths and sixteenths...until the green ones were slivers. The red ones I left a little bigger ~ like a holly berry. Look at the last picture...that is the unbaked cookie close up...try to make it look like holly leaves with a berry in the middle. Hope that helps. It's really not difficult at all. :)

Jackie ~ Thanks! I was thinking of you when I made them as they have white flour and corn starch...so I would call them a TREAT...which is what they are around here...I only make them at Christmas. :)

Christa said...

I love it when you share recipes that have been in your family. It makes them more special. I may have to try these when we get back from our trip. :0)

Christa

Camille said...

Christa ~ Have a wonderful trip! I'm so glad you enjoy the recipe posts...I have always loved trying new recipes...but the old "tried and true" ones really are the best. They've stood the test of time.

Blessings,
Camille

Nutmeg said...

Wow! Those are so easy! Definitely going to have to try those.
Amy

Camille said...

Hi Amy ~ Let me know what you think! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Yes, I was trying to figure out a way to make these healthy, but just don't think they would be the same. Some recipes ya just can't mess with, LOL! A treat it is!

Camille said...

LOL Jackie ~ I was wondering what you would do with them! :) Once a year should be okay...wouldn't you say? ;-)

Sharon said...

Good Morning Camille :) These look great! I am going to have to try them soon! Thanks for sharing :)

I also wanted to thank you for always leaving such encouraging comments. It is my desire for the Lord to be glorified and the saints encouraged. I am thankful and humbled that He uses me.

Have a glorious day in Him!

Love,
Sharon

Camille said...

Dear Sharon ~ I hope you enjoy them...we do...too much! ;-)

I appreciate the thought you put into your devotionals Sharon...the Lord is glorified anytime we proclaim Him and His goodness. It is a pleasure to visit you and comment on your blog...thanks for visiting here too! :)

May the Lord bless you this week and throughout this beautiful season!

Love,
Camille

Heather said...

Oh yes! I forgot about this one, thanks!