May 14, 2011

Do I Believe in Prayer?

Simply sharing a quote with you,
kind friends, this weekend.
(It came to me this past week by email).
May the LORD use it in our lives for good.

Do I believe in prayer?  Yes!
May the LORD help me to truly live like I do!

**My Dad (Camille's) is an artist ~ he used pencil to draw these praying hands
while a Bible School student in 1964 ~ 
It was a gift to us from my Dad 
a few years ago and it is very precious to us both.


"There Is Not Enough Private Prayer!
There are few professing Christians, it may be feared,
who strive to imitate Christ in the matter of private devotion.

There is abundance of hearing, reading, talking, professing, visiting,
contributing to the poor, subscribing to societies and teaching at schools.
But is there, together with all this, a due proportion of private prayer?

Are believing men and women sufficiently
careful to be frequently alone with God?
These are humbling and heart-searching questions.
But we shall find it useful to give them an answer.

Why is it that there is so much apparent religious working,
and yet so little result in positive conversions to God -
so many sermons, and so few souls saved -
so much machinery, and so little effect produced -
so much running here and there, and yet so few brought to Christ?

Why is all this?
The reply is short and simple.
There is not enough private prayer.

The cause of Christ does not need less working,
but it does need among the workers more praying.
Let us each examine ourselves, and amend our ways.

The most successful workmen in the Lord's vineyard,
are those who are like their Master,
often and much upon their knees."  J.C. Ryle

Quoted from: Expository Thoughts on the Gospels:
Luke volume 1, [Carlisle, PA: Banner of Truth, 1986],
139, 140. {Luke 5:12-16}

8 comments:

Lisa said...

The drawing is beautiful. And even more precious that it was done by your dad!

This quote is so good! We get so concerned sometimes about "doing" enough for God, and yet neglect the thing we need the most--time with Him! What a great reminder for me personally today.

Wanting What I Have said...

Camille, I could not agree more! Thank you for the exortation and reminder to PRAY. Wonderful post!

Farming On Faith said...

I sure do and I have seen God answer so many of them too.
'

Hope you are having a great Lord's Day~
Carrie

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Good thoughts to ponder on..thanks, Camille.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

There is nothing so powerful, so effective as praying in the Spirit! Great post, Camille. I've learned this lesson this year and I don't ever want to forget it or go back to be mediocre in this area. I'm learning that all I have to do is ask in His will and He will move mountains!

Camille said...

Dear Lisa ~ Oh how easy it is for me to *do* (and that is important), but to sit at HIS feet and pray is so important too! Thank you for your visit and for your encouragement this day. :)

Dear Jennifer ~ How powerful prayer is and how often I neglect it...how gracious and patient our precious Saviour is!!

Dear Carrie ~ How WONDERFUL our LORD is!! Yes, HE does answer prayer and gives exactly what we need. Thank you for adding your thoughts here today...it's lovely to hear from you. :)

Dear Becky ~ It was a blessing to read this and I thought it would bless others as well. I am glad you stopped by today...the LORD bless you! :)

Dear Jackie ~ Yes, the LORD is able to do far above what we can imagine...HE does all things well! What a blessing it is to follow and serve HIM! :)

Many blessings,
Camille

Cinnamon said...

What a beautiful picture. I can see why it is so precious to you!

Your words are always so encouraging. Thank you~

I have purposed this past year to pray not only more privately but with someone. Instead of saying "oh I'm praying *for* you" ...rather I stop and pray *with* them.

~Cinnamon

Camille said...

Dear Cinnamon ~ That's lovely my friend...I like that! Yes, prayer is powerful and it's a beautiful thing to share with someone else...how loved your friends must feel. :)

Love,
Camille