October 28, 2009

The Yummiest Pumpkin Dessert

Just in time for American Thanksgiving! You will NOT be disappointed if you make this your feature dessert for the holidays...It is so incredibly yummy AND easy!! Let me know what you think! :)


Batter is poured directly into greased 9 x 13 inch pan...


Crumble topping is made from a dry cake mix and butter...


Sprinkle topping onto the unbaked "filling"...and bake!



Pumpkin Dessert


Mix the following ingredients together well. (I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer)

Filling:

4 beaten eggs
1 ½ cup granulated sugar
1 – 385 ml tin evaporated milk
1 – 796 ml (28 oz) tin plain pumpkin
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Ground ginger
½ tsp. Ground cloves
Pinch salt

Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.

Cover the above with the following crumble topping.

Crumble topping:

One golden cake mix (dry) ~ I use Betty Crocker brand
¾ cup butter (do not use margarine)
Cut the butter into the cake mix to make a crumble topping. Sprinkle this topping onto the wet (unbaked) filling.

Bake at 350 F for a total of 60 minutes.

After 30 minutes of baking, sprinkle ½ cup of pre-toasted chopped pecans on top of the half-baked dessert. Return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes longer. I omit the nuts due to allergies in our home...so I just leave it in the oven for the full 60 minutes until set and browning on top.

Allow to cool and serve with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg on top. You won't believe how good this is! :)

It can be frozen and thawed at room temperature if by chance you have any leftovers!


**Years ago I was introduced to this amazing recipe by my sister-in-law...it is a big hit every time I serve it. In fact, we had new friends over last Sunday and the lady (who is a Grandma) said she wanted the recipe so she could make it for her family on Thanksgiving...now how's that for an advertisement? :)

21 comments:

Nadine said...

Oh, that looks very good! I always like to try new dessert recipes during the holidays - thank you for sharing!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Christa said...

Looks yummy Camille! I will have to try this one. I may want to feature this on my blog, would that be ok?

Christa

Unknown said...

This looks delicous. I'm going to copy it down and try it out!

Sharon said...

Good morning Camille! This looks so good! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Have a beautiful day in the Lord!
~Sharon

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

This is a very yummy dessert. I used to make it a lot before I quit buying cake mixes. I'm going to have to figure out a healthy way to make this because it is truly delicious and I miss it.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I make this all the time - Pumpkin Krunch! It is really really easy and so delish. Everyone always raves about it!

Manuela

Camille said...

Nadine ~ I hope you like it...let me know! :)

Christa ~ It IS amazing...of course you can post about it...thanks so much for asking! Would you mind linking back to me when you do?

Jenn ~ Let me know how it turns out...I am sure you won't be disappointed!

Sharon ~ Thanks for sharing your recipes too...guess what I just made?? That amazing Crazy Quilt Pie...SOOOO YUMMY!!!!

Jackie ~ I am sure you can figure out a substitute...when you do, please let me know what you come up with! :)

Manuela ~ Thanks for the confirmation that it isn't just me who thinks it's amazing! :) How fun to have a recipe that gets rave reviews every time!!

Blessings to you all!
Camille

Wanting What I Have said...

I'm so glad you shared about "Little Pilgrim's Progress." I'm sure MW would LOVE it! We're always on the lookout for more great books on her level...but also wanting to challenge her and raise the bar a little (if that makes sense). I'm sure she would enjoy this! I promised her we'd get back to the "Little House" books when we finish "Despereaux." Those are her favorite. Maybe we'll tackle L.P.P. after those. :) Thanks again for sharing!

Camille said...

J ~ We ALL have been blessed by reading "Little Pilgrim's Progress"...it is not in the least "dummed down"...it is actually one of my personal favourites! :) I think some of our children were as young as three when they listened to it being read...don't know how much of it "sinks in" at that age, but it is one you can read over and over and over. Let me know what you think of it when you get it!!

Blessings,
Camille

Camille said...

J ~ One more thing...it is based faithfully on Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" and it does cover the death of one of the followers of the Lord. It is a moving part of the book and emotional...thought I should put that out there for your consideration. It is not difficult to read if you opted to preview it first. Some of the content would be advanced for a three year old...having said that...we certainly have not kept our young ones from hearing it read aloud. Just wanted to clarify!

Blessings,
Camille

Linda Stubbs said...

Yes that is fine to sign up with a USA address. I feel so bad that I couldn't send to the other ladies. It was going to be over $100 to Australia. That is sad. So glad you signed up!

This dessert looks wonderful. Nummy!
Blessings, Linda

Camille said...

Thanks Linda! You have had a lot of action on that giveaway of yours...it's so lovely! What a creative lady you are!! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Abbi said...

How funny! I just chanced upon your blog for the first time today and saw this recipe. I had just finished eating it as that is what I had made for dessert for our lunch today! We love the recipe too, it is easy and good. I do however make my own "cake mix" (just mix together the dry ingrediants of a cake recipe) that way I can use whole grain flour and cut back on the sugar.

Camille said...

Welcome Abbi! I'm glad you "happened by"...please come again! What a great tip to just mix together the "cake mix" ingredients yourself...thanks for sharing!! Did you read this Jackie? Now you can make it again too!

Blessings,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for letting me know about the cake mix alternative. Great idea and easy, too! I'm hoping I'll have time to try this out this week. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Camille said...

Thanks Jackie! I'm sure we'd all love to hear how it goes. :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Camille,
I tried this the healthy way and it turned out fabulous! I took it to a Healthy Families Network meeting tonight and everybody went nuts over it. I'm going to try to post my healthier version on my blog tomorrow. It tasted just like I remembered only not as sweet, which was fine with with me. It was so yummy! Just had to share.

Camille said...

Jackie ~ Thanks for letting me know...I will check out what you did with it! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Farmgirl said...

Made it, love it! Thanks Camille!!

Camille said...

Hi Heather~
I'm sooo excited you liked it! Funny thing...right when you posted this comment...I was posting your Chicken Noodle Soup! Strange hey??

Love,
Camille

More than Survival said...

I make a pumpkin dessert that is almost just like this and we LOVE it!! It is a favorite to make when I have to feed a crowd.
Heather